PBS KIDS GO! Illustration of the New York City skyline Activities Illustration of the New York City skyline
Big Apple History -- From New York to Your Town Illustration of the New York City skyline

Early New York
Coming to America
Building the Big Apple
Arts & Entertainment
Business & Politics
New York Living
Illustration of a taxi cab
Looking Back back to Coming to America
Children's roof playground at Ellis Island
Children's roof playground at Ellis Island
enlarge image
Interviewed late in life, Tessie Croce remembered the day she came to the United States from Italy as if it were yesterday, though she was only 15-years-old at the time. After weeks in third-class steerage, she arrived at Ellis Island with her mother, her aunt, and her grandmother.

"Awful. I wouldn't go back for anything in the world . . . So many people! Oh my God! It looked like cattle all over the place. We waited for the medical examination . . . If your eyes were red or something like that, they sent you back."

As an 18-year-old from the village of Paese Gombolo, Italy, Pierina Gasperetti came alone to Ellis Island in 1912. She recalls the confusion that greeted her:

"It was pretty strange for me, with all those people, always those big groups of people . . . [The officials] asked me a lot of questions: Where do you come from? So I told them, 'I come from here and there' . . . They wanted to know all sorts of things: Why did you come to America, how much money did we have? ... They were probably afraid that I couldn't even buy myself a piece of bread."

Illustration: Photo by Jacob Riis, courtesy of the Museum of the City of New York.

Move to Next Article